How Much Do You Know About Milk?
Check out the following websites for great information on dairy and milk facts. We hope these links will help you learn how to make healthy food and activity choices and learn a little more about life on the farm.
Dairy for Kids
Dairy products are an essential part of a child’s diet. Children that consume dairy products as part of a balanced diet will build strong bones and healthy teeth. Paired with regular physical activity, dairy can also help kids maintain a healthy body fat percentage. Check out these links to nutrition and dairy information for kids:
TAKE THIS QUICK COW QUIZ TO TEST YOUR MILK KNOWLEDGE:
1. _________% of dietary calcium in the US. comes from milk
and other dairy foods!
2. Milk is a great source of__________ which helps build muscle.
3. A working milk cow has to have a _________________ in order to lactate (make milk).
4. _______________ cows give more volume of milk.
5. _______________ cows give more butterfat in their milk.
ANSWERS: 1. 72% 2. PROTEIN 3. BABY CALF 4. HOLSTEIN 5. JERSEY
40 Gallons of Water Per Day
Thats Nearly a Bathtub Full
Cows Eat About 90 lbs. of Food a Day
One Cow Produces an Average 8 Gallons of Milk a Day.
Did you know?
A Holstein’s spots are like a fingerprint or snowflake. No two cows have exactly the same pattern of spots!
COW – Mature Female
HEIFER – Young Female
STEER – Castrated male
BULL – Male
DRY COW / SPRINGER – Last Trimester Pregnant Cow
FIRST TIME HEIFER – First Pregnancy